RE: [ESPResSo] Re: analyze nbhood & Bond-angle Interactions

From: Limbach, Hans Joerg, LAUSANNE, NRC-FS
Subject: RE: [ESPResSo] Re: analyze nbhood & Bond-angle Interactions
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 08:34:42 +0100

Hello,

Nothing. The periodic boundary condition (PBC) (and with that the
reentering) is just one way to treat the boundary problem. If you want
to simulate a system at a finite density you have to fix a volume and in
some way specify the boundary of this volume. You can either do this by
placing some kind of wall at the boundary or use PBC.
As Burkhard stated already, this reentering does not change your
aggregate. The radius of gyration (Rg) will be the same as before.
Actually Espresso keeps track of all events when particles cross the box
boundary. For analysis like Rg Espresso uses the real coordinate of the
particles, which can be outsite of the primary simulation box. When you
visualize your system with VMD you can choose wether you would like to
have the particles folded into the primary simulation box or not (see
options for write_pdb).
If this still sounds kind of magic to you I suggest to read some basic
textbook on MD simulations, e.g. Frenkel/Smith or Allen/Tildesley.

Regards,
Hanjo