erc-discuss

Re: [Erc-discuss] Spurious "*** Is online:" messages

From: intrigeri
Subject: Re: [Erc-discuss] Spurious "*** Is online:" messages
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 20:08:29 +0100

Hello again,

address@hidden wrote (11 Feb 2008 18:34:18 GMT) :
> For a few days or weeks, every 4 minutes in general, sometimes more
> often, a "*** Is online: " message appears in one of my ERC buffers ;
> I think it is in the buffer where I last typed any text, but there
> might be exceptions.

> I’m using Romain Françoise emacs-snapshot Debian packages ; I get this
> behavior in Emacs CVS snapshot 20071215 (ERC Version 5.3 (devel) (GNU
> Emacs 23.0.50.1)) and in the 20080209 snapshot (ERC Version 5.3 (GNU
> Emacs 23.0.60.1)) as well.

> I was able to workaround the problem a bit : by adding "303" to
> erc-track-exclude-types, at least erc-track does not react, but the
> spurious messages are still constantly appearing in my ERC buffers.

> A quick check to my configuration repository logs did not show any
> related change.

A deeper check revealed that this only happens when I connect two ERC,
running on two different boxes, to my IRC proxy (i.e. bip).

Is there a way to hide such messages in ERC, or should it be
considered as a bip bug ?

If needed, I could try with other concurrent IRC clients, to see
whether this only happens with ERC.

Bye,
--
   <address@hidden>