erc-discuss

[Erc-discuss] Re: [5.2] Frequent disconnections ... and forced nick chan

From: Michael Olson
Subject: [Erc-discuss] Re: [5.2] Frequent disconnections ... and forced nick change
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 07:47:30 -0400

Eric Hanchrow <address@hidden> writes:

> I keep getting disconnected from freenode, and every time that happes,
> ERC keeps logging me in automatically as "offby1`" (normally I'm just
> "offby1").  Both of those things are annoying, but I assume the
> disconnections are outside of ERC's control.  But how can I get it to
> log me back in as "offby1"?  As it stands, I have to keep typing
>
>           /msg nickserv recover offby1 <password>
>           /msg nickserv release offby1 <password>
>           /nick offby1

The quick fix is (setq erc-server-send-ping-timeout nil).  This
prevents ERC from trying to reconnect due to the server's failure to
reply to PING.

I'm not sure why it isn't automatically giving you back the nick after
reconnection, because it doesn't do that to me anymore.  Are you using
the ERC services module (erc-services.el) to authenticate to nickserv?
If not, and you're using some other automatic method, perhaps it's
trying to authenticate too soon.

--
Michael Olson -- FSF Associate Member #652 -- http://www.mwolson.org/
Interests: Lisp, text markup, protocols -- Jabber: mwolson_at_hcoop.net