erc-discuss

[Erc-discuss] Developing ERC at Savannah

From: Michael Olson
Subject: [Erc-discuss] Developing ERC at Savannah
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2006 23:39:23 -0400

I've made a page on EmacsWiki.org that explains how to check out and
make changes to ERC.  The URL is
http://emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/ErcDevelopment.  This will involve
using GNU Arch, so I've added a fairly thorough getting-started
tutorial to the page.

This is a shared Arch archive, which means that any ERC developer can
commit directly to it, much like with a CVS repository.

For further info on how to get into a productive routine with Arch,
check out http://www.mwolson.org/projects/DevelopingWithArch.html.  I
highly recommend using DVC (described on that page) to view changes
that you make and compose log entries.

If you are used to the Emacs VC commands for CVS, there is a
vc-arch.el file included with Emacs 22 (which should be loaded
automatically).

If you have questions concerning the usage of Arch or this archive,
please feel free to voice them.

Quick description of the different ERC branches:

erc--main--0: This is the main ERC branch, like CVS HEAD.

erc--rel--5.1: The 5.1 release branch.  This is like our
release_5_1_branch in CVS.

erc--emacs--22: Our Emacs 22 integration branch.  This is exactly what
will appear in the version of ERC that is bundled with Emacs 22.
Included are scripts to sync its contents to and from the Emacs tree.

--
Michael Olson -- FSF Associate Member #652 -- http://www.mwolson.org/
Interests: Emacs Lisp, text markup, protocols -- Jabber: mwolson_at_hcoop.net