epsilon-doc

[epsilon-doc] straighten

From: Gideon King
Subject: [epsilon-doc] straighten
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 09:39:49 -0400

That phrase, used now for thirty years, relic of Yale and Harvard:Royce and Munsterberg. She spenthalf her time talking to real estate men; they hovered about thehouse like flesh-flies. But Eugene was untroubled by thought of a goal. He felt sure things would be betterelsewhere. He came, gathered to lifeagain, out of his grave. Am I going to cutmy throat, or eat worms, or swallow arsenic? The deliberate calm of Hugh Barton sometimes goaded her to afrenzy.
A stick is finiteand unextended wood, a fact determined by its own denial. Do you think you have replacedmy childhoods God with your Absolute?
One of his fraternity brothers told me so.
The old head listens gravely above the ironic intake of theirbreath. With victorious joy, Eugene thought of theflowers above Bens grave. And his teachers and companions spoketo them about him, and said he would have a brilliant career. One of his fraternity brothers told me so.
Cant you ever get it into your head that papas a sick man? A stick, said Eugene, is not only wood but the negation of wood. The old head listens gravely above the ironic intake of theirbreath. He always felt sure things would be better elsewhere.
He was wild with ecstasy because the Spring had beaten death. His body was a rotten fabric which had thus far miraculously heldtogether.
He was a centaur, moon-eyedand wild of mane, torn apart with hunger for the golden world. Do you think you have replacedmy childhoods God with your Absolute? He was devoured by a vast strange hunger for life. And his teachers and companions spoketo them about him, and said he would have a brilliant career.
If it werent for me, shed let himdie right under her eyes.
Thegrief of Ben sank to a forgotten depth in him.
In all this jugglery, the Teutons wereWeldons masters, yet mark how thirstily the class lap it up. White, bewildered, servile, the patient slaves face. To me, youwere the sufficient negation to all your teachings.
He was nineteen; he had completed hiscollege course; but he did not know what he was going to do.