epsilon-doc

[epsilon-doc] amiably rife

From: Laura Guthrie
Subject: [epsilon-doc] amiably rife
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2006 19:17:48 +0200

But such was not the purpose of the red-haired men, as presently hewas to learn. But when he came to the cave, as the day died, there was no Laleela. To find ourselves enemies again afterward. Because I must, or so it would seem, Pag. Men do not always talk of what they desire, or women either, Laleela.
Yes, and while he stares at this new light, his feet will fall into apit. Men do not always talk of what they desire, or women either, Laleela. The men went, and there followed much screaming and confusion. I amnot of the tribe, so I hid in a hut till all were gone.
Yes, but this one is coupled with a curse.
Then Moananga said:I am chief in this matter.
Finding a lampto his hand, he holds it up to search the darkness.
While Pag ate, Wi went down to the seashore. Only devils couldlook like that and travel about without women or children. You lie, said Wi, at which she only smiled again and drew the cloakmore closely about her.
How should a wife show love to her husband, Aaka? There is always trouble among your people. Wi made no answer, but to himself he thought that perhaps Pag had goneto bury her. Then she turned to walk away, and as she went, Wi saw her wipe hereyes with the back of her hand.
Then he went out to the woods, taking Moananga with him.
Do you seek counsel of me while Laleela stands there?
What is the use of returning to find our men dead?
When they had gone, Wi turned to Pag and asked:What shall we do, Pag? Meanwhile, learn, Wi, that many peopledescend on you, coming in boats like this, only larger. Then would you go away if you could, Laleela?
Now, Laleela did not believe in the Ice-gods because she was a Moon-worshipper. Then Moananga said:I am chief in this matter.
Therefore I will think over all that youhave said, and afterward we will talk again. Laleela listened, wrinkling her fair broad brow in thought.
Therefore, if you willlisten I will give you counsel to take or to leave.
Had such been his desire, surely hewould have told me, who speaks to me of no such matters. I dont know, answered Pag, but her hollow log has gone. Thrice he uttered it, andpresently, far, far away in the distance, it was answered.
How can I thank you forthat which is not? Behold, it was Laleela, clad inher blue cloak and holding a spear in her hand.
Pag, who was hungry, lookedat it, then said:Is it poisoned, Aaka?
Then she turned to walk away, and as she went, Wi saw her wipe hereyes with the back of her hand.
Aye, said Pag, and there comes the trouble.
I think that you are so jealous ofLaleela that you would like to be rid of her.
There is always trouble among your people.