epix-users

Re: [ePiX-users] ePiX2 web page

From: Andrew D. Hwang
Subject: Re: [ePiX-users] ePiX2 web page
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 13:59:10 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 25 Aug 2006, Christian Pötzsch wrote:

I tried the new pre release of epix2 but with no success. The compiler
complain not knowing about the vector class in the point class:

[snip]
Point.h:54: error: expected ',' or '...' before '&' token
Point.h:54: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of 'Vector' with no type
[snip]
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/poetzsch/nobackup/Downloads/epix2/src'
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

Christian,

Thanks for trying out ePiX2, and sorry if the bad packaging caused you any inconvenience. (I've uploaded a package that unpacks into a subdirectory
and contains two formerly missing symlinks.)

After looking into Point.h the error is comprehensible. There is a
forward declaration of the Vector class, but no include statment. In
Vector.h the Point class is used also, which leads in a recursion. I
don't know why this compiles at your side. Maybe I miss something.

I build and test with gcc-3.3.2, and versions of the compiler older than about 3.4 seem to be more lax about the (bad/non-compliant) syntax they'll accept, which may be the reason I don't get errors (or even warnings with -Wall) when compiling this code.

Did including Vector.h in Point.h allow the package to build for you?

Are you using g++-4.x?

Thanks,
Andy

Andrew D. Hwang                 address@hidden
Department of Math and CS       http://math.holycross.edu/~ahwang
College of the Holy Cross       (508) 793-2458 (Office: 320 Swords)
Worcester, MA, 01610-2395       (508) 793-3530 (fax)