How Enigma is Played and What This Means for the Tutorial

From: Andreas Lochmann
Subject: How Enigma is Played and What This Means for the Tutorial
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2022 23:19:01 +0100

Hi everyone,

I hope you are all doing well and that you had a good start to the new year. :-)

We originally planned a new tutorial for Enigma 1.30; actually even two level packs:
- One for absolute beginners,
- and one for experienced gamers who just play Enigma for the first time (but know other games).

However, it turned out that we had different views on the tutorial, based on different assumptions on how new players approach Enigma:

Hypothesis 1:
New players play Enigma's levels in the proposed sequence, starting with Tutorial, then Enigma I, then Enigma II, etc. Skipping levels from time to time, but gradually learning new items as they appear. Consequently, the tutorial should only demonstrate the most basic objects, and all other objects are gradually introduced by levels in the regular Enigma packs.

Hypothesis 2:
New players click on levels randomly, and would soon encounter lots and lots of levels with objects unknown to them. For example, after playing the tutorial, the player should be prepared for a level like "Enigmaparcour I". Consequently, the tutorial should demonstrate every object that appears on a regular basis.

There are alternatives involving more than just the tutorial; for example, Enigma could memorize which introduction levels have been solved and lock levels with unknown objects until the necessary introduction levels have been solved (with option "play this level anyway" or "disable locking as a whole" or something).

What do you think of these three approaches?

Best,
Andreas