Re: Enigma 1.30-beta on macOS Big Sur ready for testing

From: Sidney Markowitz
Subject: Re: Enigma 1.30-beta on macOS Big Sur ready for testing
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2021 21:02:10 +1200

Andreas Lochmann wrote on 24/08/21 10:30 am:
This would make things faster for the users. But --makepreviews
unfortunately doesn't place the generated .pngs in the correct folders;
you would have to move them by hand.

I think I have that covered already. Because any formula submitted to Homebrew project for inclusion in homebrew-core cannot build an app bundle, only command line executables, I removed the macapp target from Makefile and made the homebrew formula use make install to put files in /usr/local/bin and /usr/local/share/enigma just like on Linux. I modified the macOS path setting in main.cc to be the same as Linux when it detects it is not running from an app bundle.

Running enigma --makepreview will put the .pngs into the correct level folders for whichever is being run, /usr/local/bin or Enigma.app/Contents/MacOS.

To create the app bundle, I wrote a script enigmabuilddmg which is installed using the Homebrew formula enigma-dev-tools. It copies the files installed in /usr/local/bin/enigma and /usr/local/share/enigma into the correct locations to create the Enigma.app bundle (along with required shared libraries) and then packages it into an Enigma.dmg. If you run enigma --makepreview before running enigmabuilddmg, the .png files will end up properly copied from the /usr/local/share/enigma levels.

So, the current steps to build enigma and the dmg would be (using formula from our github account Enigma-Game because it is not yet accepted into homebrew-core):

brew install enigma-game/enigma/enigma
brew install enigma-game/enigma/enigma-dev-tools
enigma --makepreview
enigmabuilddmg

That creates a file Enigma.dmg in the current directory, with a self-contained Enigma.app bundle that does not require Homebrew.

The Enigma-1.30-beta.dmg I uploaded to Github has the previews done that way.

  -- sidney