Re: Enigma 1.30-beta on macOS Big Sur ready for testing

From: Sidney Markowitz
Subject: Re: Enigma 1.30-beta on macOS Big Sur ready for testing
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2021 01:04:09 +1200

Andreas Lochmann wrote on 20/08/21 11:15 pm:
Yes, please merge.

Ok, I'll merge macbuild branch

Oh, one question about the dmg files I make.
Should I run enigma --makepreview before packaging the install dmg?

Feel free to remove intl
completely or in parts, otherwise I will remove it later on, when
cleaning up the code (after release of 1.30, before I start working on
1.31).

The branch I will merge will remove just the intl/VERSION file, which is the minimum change to allow it to build, and I'll leave it to you to remove intl more thoroughly later.

   configure --with-system-enet --prefix=somethingconvenient
   make
   make install

This links quite a bit more statically and requires fewer DLLs in the
distribution, so I really am quite mystified about how the zip that was
uploaded was built.

Feel free to merge these changes, too.

I built the zip, using the scripts etc/mxe-configure.sh and etc/mxe-dist.sh:

    ./autogen.sh
    cd etc
    ./mxe-configure.sh
    ..
    make
    [copy preview images]
    cd etc
    ./mxe-dist.sh

mxe-configure and mxe-dist are updated copies of mingw32-configure and
mingw32-dist, matching my own cross-compilation environment (the name
derives from mxe.cc, where I found most of the necessary packages). I
didn't want to interfere with anyone still using mingw32-configure and
-dist (after all, I didn't know if anyone was actually still
successfully using them, and they use different installation paths for
the libraries).

I'll try that out before I actually do the merge to confirm that I'm not about to break that method of building.

Well ... question to all: Does anyone still use mingw32-configure/dist?

Well, I do see that current linux distros now package mingw-w64 and no longer have mingw32, so that's probably obsolete.

The fact that my build needs more dlls was quite a hassle, that's true,

It turns out I was wrong about the resulting of the build in msys2. After running strip and upx on enigma.exe it is similar size to what you get. And a similar set of dll files is required to run it in a plain Windows environment.

By the way ... Sidney, I wrote you mails on March 23rd and May 29th
about my switch back from cmake to autotools and a pull request on
Github from someone third. I thought you were just busy, but maybe they
went to your spam folder?

I see them in my mail, and they are marked as read. Sorry, I must have been distracted when reading them, and didn't notice that you made the switch. I did end up noticing that pull request anyway and incorporated it into the changes I made for the mac build.

 Sidney