[Enigma-devel] Scoring System

From: Medimaster
Subject: [Enigma-devel] Scoring System
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2015 16:59:54 +0100

Hi all,

i want to suggest a better scoring system for the game.
I never liked the old solved handicap system and now we have even only the record and solved level statistics left. The solved handicap system had huge drawbacks. It was possible to just not play levels if they would detoriate your score (not the hcp in the game of course, just the solved hcp statistics). Most important factor however is that solving and playing new levels had practically no effect if a player had already played a significant number of levels. This is very bad for the motivation of the players. A simple points system like the following would have been much better:

3 points for solving a level in one of the best 3 times (If more than 3 players reach the same best time they all get 3 points.)

2 points for solving a level under PAR.

1 point for solving a level >= PAR.

If a player has attained more than half of the Maximum number of points (currently 2907x3=8721 points) which is 4361 points at the moment he is declared a 'Master of Enigma' or 'Enigmaster' or whatever. It doesn't matter. It's just to have a goal that can be achieved by almost everyone (not only by dev0,daydreamer or me) but OTOH is relatively hard to achieve (otherwise it would be pointless).

Currently time play for many levels is pointless because the levels are simply 'dead'. To reach the record time is practically impossible as player with a mouse (if you don't want to play the level for weeks or even months that is). I've made hundreds of these but dev0's 34 seconds at 'Slide Show' is for example also of this category. The players Moneymaker,Lurcane and Stupid made a lot of these times too but they seem lost now after the break. The players have not resubmitted their scores.

If instead of one record time the 3 best times would be displayed in the game it would keep levels open for time play much longer.

rgds

Medimaster