[Enigma-devel] Building for Mac OS 10.6 and higher

From: Sidney Markowitz
Subject: [Enigma-devel] Building for Mac OS 10.6 and higher
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2014 17:34:11 +1300

I've managed to resolve the various problems building Enigma on a Mac to make
one app bundle that runs on 32 or 64 bit Intel machines running Mac OS 10.6
and higher. Tested on 32 bit machine running 10.6.8 (the maximum available on
32 bit), as well as on 64 bit 10.6.8 and 10.9 (Mavericks). This is still
preliminary in that I have not had a chance to try it on Lion and Mountain
Lion, but it is likely to work given that it does on both older and newer
systems than that.

I don't have a convenient setup to try to get a build that would be compatible
with any older versions of Mac OS X, so users of Leopard or any PPC machine
are still out of luck.

There was one problem I did not solve: The file doc/manual/enigma_ru.texi
causes the build to break, I think because texi2html does not know how to
handle the character encoding. When texi2html tries to process it it exits
with an error in Encode.pm complainig about a wide character.

I deleted that file to allow me to complete the build. Is there a known fix
for this?

Once that is settled and I can do a bit more testing I can submit the small
changes to some of the build files and the new doc/README.macosx that would be
needed.

 Sidney