Re: [Enigma-devel] [oxyd] Re: Avoiding "but over par" in Enigma

From: Daniel Heck
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] [oxyd] Re: Avoiding "but over par" in Enigma
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2011 13:30:42 +0200

Hi,

I have followed this discussion the whole time, but I originally did not take
it too seriously because I considered the "over par" message a minor annoyance
at most. But the more I think about it, the more I realize that you indeed have
a good point. To put it bluntly: negative feedback, such as this, is simply bad
game design, and unless the player explicitly asks for punishment, games should
stick to positive reinforcement to motivate players.  For this reason I would
encourage Enigma's development team to change the message in future versions.

Regarding the problem of "fixing" current versions of Enigma... It's not overly
complicated to build your own version of Enigma if you have at least a little
programming experience; the most difficult aspect will be setting up the
development environment (this is explained in doc/README.mingw32).  The more
economical (but messier) solution is to change the message text by modifying
enigma.exe in a hex editor.  I feel somewhat bad for even suggesting this, but
if the "over par" message really annoys you, this might be the easiest route ;)

Cheers,
Daniel