Re: [Enigma-devel] Engima Bugs

From: Ronald Lamprecht
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] Engima Bugs
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2008 01:30:25 +0100

These reports are related to the post 1.01 development version.

Raoul wrote:
While we're talking about bugs, I have had a couple of thoughts.

1. When stones are connected with ot_wire, if one movable stone
moves then the attached stone should also move. I have noticed that
if one of these stones is st_boulder, that the boulder will move (as
long as it is unobstructed) but will not pull on any attached stones
as it moves. Moving the other stone will move the st_boulder. Is
this intended?

Yes it is. But the reason is, that wires do not transfer move operations from one stone to the other, but stone push impulses instead. We are thus speaking of push-wires. A boulder moving by itself causes no push impulses to be transfered to its fellows. But if you move the boulder by a pulsing stoneimpulse the wired fellows will receive the impulse and move accordingly.

Yes, this is intended. Because when you have a bunch of stones connected
and every time one stone in moved, all other stones follow, you get a
rigid puzzle-like object. With such objects, all Wireban-Levels would
not be possible! The way it's no we can build much more and interesting
patterns with wired stones.

Raoul explanation answers the question why impulses are just send to direct connected stones and not forwarded to all stones in a wired stone collection. This is indeed a matter of providing the most interesting behaviour. Andreas and Raoul did approach the resulting feature with a mathematical theory - at least for independent stones not being blocked by others they came up with an interesting theory :-)

2. When posting an item with st_mail (with or without pipes), the
item is deposited at the end of the pipes, even if there is a stone
there. What I was thinking was that if the item was an it_key and the
stone was the appropriate st_key for the it_key, then the key should
unlock the stone rather than being deposited underneath the stone.
Would this be tricky to program?

A nice idea! Should also work with coins and coinlots.
We surely need to think about this.

It is feasible to code and I think it is a valuable additional application pattern for pipes and the mail stone. I guess we should add this feature to the key, the coin and the floppy item.

Greets,

Ronald