Re: [Enigma-devel] Engima Bugs

From: Ronald Lamprecht
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] Engima Bugs
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 22:52:08 +0100

Alexandros Tasos wrote:
Some One wrote:

I hope I did this correctly. I've noticed 3 things in Enigma which
    I'm not sure are bugs or not:
1. When I equalled a world record with one of those levels that have
    many, many record holders, the text zooms across very fast, but
    doesn't actually finish displaying them. From that point onward, any
    text displayed in the status bar (e.g. level name or results)
    appears, then jerks backs and forth continuously.
2. Sometimes when I start Engima, it displays a message saying "No
    CD in the drive"
3. Not sure if this is a bug or not. But on some levels where Oxyd
    stones are placed very close together, if a stone is opened, then
    another stone of the same colour is also hit, before the first stone
    fully opens, then the first stone closes, and the Oxyd stones aren't
    'paired'. This seems to happen more so with the Deja Vu levelsets.
I am using Windows Vista SP1 (Home Premium), and Engima 1.01.
    Problem 3 is reproducable, problem 2 seems to be random, and problem
    1 is very difficult to repeat :).
Thank you for this great game!
    Sigma

The first bug occurs to me, too. If you want to get rid of the "vibration", just solve a level or click the right mouse button while playing. I'm not sure but I think this bug will not exist in the next version.

Thanks for the bug report. The ridiculous speed on pingponging the long strings with many world record sharers was well known. But the subsequent general vibration of centered strings in the text display is an old bug that I observed once but had not the time to fix immediately. But now I fixed both troublemakers in the trunk development revision 1400.

The second bug is, as you say, random. I have not been able to reproduce it, but it is known to be a bug in a library that Enigma uses, called SDL.

We already had some reports for XP - now we know that Vista can be effected by this SDL problem, too. It is a pitty that we can not upgrade the used SDL version until the SDL internal gamma crashes on Windows have been fixed.

The third bug is not really a bug. In Oxyd, the game which Enigma is based on, Oxyd stones must be opened after a small period of time has passed (probably 0.5 seconds). This is used to reproduce the same gameplay that Oxyd used. Thus, in Deja-Vu levelpacks (except for Esprit), you need to wait a little before opening to equal stones.

Enigma provides several modes - some "compatibility" modes and the main "Enigma" mode. The behaviour differs in a few small aspects like the opening of oxyd stones, wood stones not igniting bombs, etc.. We agreed to keep these "compatibility" modes for existing levels, but the development of new features and levels is solely focused on the main "Enigma" mode.

Greets,

Ronald