Re: [Enigma-devel] Level "Crossfire in the making"

From: Ronald Lamprecht
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] Level "Crossfire in the making"
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2008 01:14:36 +0200

Andreas Lochmann wrote:
I can block all four lasers with two extra lifes,
and don't need the bolders. Is this correct?

It depends a lot on the shuffling pattern of the oxyd stones.

It does, indeed! On my first attempt I could solve 3 pairs immediatly with two oxyd remaining in one corner. As the remaining outer pair was opened by the boulders in sequence, I could solve the level without touching a single puzzle or laser trigger.

You will need the new API to define shuffling rules that guarantee interesting distributions.

An excerpt from the new API concept draft:
C8 - Oxyd   (coded)
---------

The color attribute is an integer value (0, 1, ..., 7).

Oxyds can be set like any other stones. If no color attribute is
specified pairs of oxyds with the same color will be set.

To guarantee fair distributions and levels that are solvable the
author can declare minimum and maximum conditions and groups of
oxyds like:

wo:shuffleOxyd({grp1, max=0}, {grp1, grp2, min=2}, {grp1, grp3, min=1, max=1})

As a shortcut groups of oxyds can be declared to be positioned either
circular or linear. This declaration expands to all rules necessary to
avoid any neighbour oxyd pairs.

wo:shuffleOxyd({grp(ox1, ox2, ox3, ox4, ox5, ox6), circular=true},
    {grp2, linear=true})

I am not getting how you manage to block the lasers while
uncovering the oxyd stones. The displaced puzzle stones
should be destroyed by the lasers. What gives?
Put one life at the crossing point of the upper and
left laser, the other life where lower and right laser
meet.

ok, I didn't realise that you could use extra lifes for that.
(But as I learnt in the forum, laser beams don't travel through
any item, so there.)

Isn't it possible to start out with no extra life? If thieves are set
at the intersections only, you can block two of the four lasers,
which still makes it easy enough.

I have not seen a variable which sets the number of extra lives
in the reference manual?
Because there is no such variable.
Yes, it's not possible to decide which items the player
has when the level starts, and which not.
Well, you can either use fl_thief in the whole level.
Or, you construct some additional part which requires
the extralifes as well. The easiest would be additional
lasers which would have to be blocked.
I think, when you position these additional lasers in a
clever way, the player might have to puzzle out which
lasers to block.

Do not forget the magic wand. It can be used for blocking purposes, too.

Concerning the extralifes it is likely that we add a feature to start a level with less extralifes, as many levels require it.

Greets,

Ronald