Re: [Enigma-devel] Maemo Port for Nokia Internet Tablets - Performance

From: Andreas Lochmann
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] Maemo Port for Nokia Internet Tablets - Performance
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 20:17:55 +0100

Hi,

Pipeline schrieb:
----- Original Message ----- From: "Ronald Lamprecht" <address@hidden>
To: "Pipeline" <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>
Sent: Saturday, February 23, 2008 12:40 PM

Patch r1046 has just been a preliminary experiment to check the
influence. I mailed yesterday the draft concept of a complete laser
light reengineering. It mainly addresses the large number of
inconsistencies in the current gaming logic concerning the laser light
(see bug reports #11112, #9475,...). But of course it addresses the
inefficiency of the laser beam drawing, too. You are right in your
assumption that the current implementation redraws all grids with a
laser beam on it on every frame with single change of laser light
anywhere. I plan to redraw just those grids where the light did change.
This should speed up the redraw on "Magic Triangle" by another factor of
3 - 4.

The r1046 patch improved performance in this level at least 300% so, yes even as a preliminary experiment, your algorithm "magic" is much appreciated :) There is a gliimpse of future playability... also on every cycle which the block makes, when the lasers are triggered off, the fps rises to 60fps for that brief second and then back down to 3fps or so.

While I look forward to seeing you complete implementation, I was referring to animation of the laser stones themselves (st-laser-{n,e,s,w})... not the beams or calculations of any objects in their path. The st-laser stone on which the beam 'begins' has its own (sprite?) animation which updates whenever the laser is on. This level (Magic Triangle) has around 23 st-laser stones being animated on every (paint/refresh). Completely disabling this 'pulsing' animation (as a test) would have no impact on the simulation other than for artistic purposes. Perhaps i will just try looking a little further into the source to find this animation and test this theory. If anyone knows where this is in the code, i'd appreciate a short-cut :)
How does "Laser Paradise" play? It uses lots of lasers
and laser beams as well, but no light passenger.

I also thought about shadow handling. Particularly
of the laser items - how is it done? Are the (empty)
shadow images overlaid as if they were real?
Should we replace the alpha-based calculations by
the simpler algorithm Daniel used for the first
versions of Enigma?

Also i previously stated sounds made no difference in performance. That is only to say its not the current bottleneck on this Magic Triangle level. I have not noticed a correlation with sounds and performance but i keep that in mind and if i find a level that benefits greatly from disabling sound (as Andreas mentioned), i will pass along.
Okay.

Greets,
Andreas