Re: Fwd: [Enigma-devel] TiltStick, USB based tilt sensor

From: Ronald Lamprecht
Subject: Re: Fwd: [Enigma-devel] TiltStick, USB based tilt sensor
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2008 23:39:01 +0100

Hi Till,

The challenge of using other input methods than a direct mouse based force to control Enigma has been taken into consideration and is partially prepared since Enigma 1.00. The XML level declaration contains an attribute called "control" in its modes element (see refman 3.3.7). What is called "balance"-control is a tilt control. All parts that have been reengineered like the score recording, the level inspector habe been prepared, too.

The concept includes the support of levels that are written especially to balance a marble through a given world. A tilt stick would be an optimal device to play these levels. But of course a mouse or a joystick can be used, too.

Of course a tilt device can be used to play force based levels, too. Clarence's suggestion to use two additional keys to modify the "mouse"-force factor on the fly should make a tilt stick a much better input device than a pad.

Concerning your remark on reflections on obstactles please note that all current stones do reflect actors perfectly (besides a number of bugs and algorithmic problems in 1.01 that I did address for 1.10). Collisions with other restitutions factors are prepared and may be used for a balance mode.

Any experimental patches for input devices should be limited to basic event loop in game.cc to be taken into consideration. Note that after release of 1.10 the classes client.cc and sercer.cc will be rewritten from scratch when I will start to prepare the event system for networking. The event polling paradigm will be changed completly down to the basic SDL poll call.

Greets,

Ronald

Till Harbaum / Lists wrote:
Hi again,

ok, it's working. It actually works quite nicely. But there are some glitches,
the major one probably is the fact that the physics were never meant to be used this way and if you tilt the device such that the ball rolls against an obstacle and should just rest there after bouncing some times, it just keeps jumping around ... Mulg did the same, although not that obvious ...

Anyway, i'll clean things up a little bit. I wonder if it's ok to keep these routines in client.cc as this is not specifically client related. Or is it?

I'll keep you updated.

Till