Re: [Enigma-devel] 4 bugs in Enigma

From: Andreas Lochmann
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] 4 bugs in Enigma
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 01:46:03 +0100

thank you for your bug-report. Your zip-file was a little large
for the mailling-list (normal limit is 300 kB), but finally it
came through. Just no more 7 MB files, think of our modem-
users. :-)

[No-CD-bug]

Iceshark7 wrote:

The first bug is shown on "No CD.png" file. This has happened several times
after starting Enigma when having no CD/DVD/etc. on my CD drive. After
having a CD, no matter which one it is, the message no longer appears.
Shortly, the message only appears when my CD-drive is empty. I don't think
Enigma does need a CD for any reason.
Can't say something to this ... please press F2 when in main menu
and send us a screenshot of this. Or, search yourself if somewhere
appears "D:\" or such.

[Pentomino-Bug]

The second bug is probably known but I have screenshotted a few pictures
about it. It's about a crash in the levels:

Enigma II - #83 - Pentomino II
Enigma II - #85 - Pentomino III
Enigma II - #87 - Pentomino IV
Enigma II - #89 - Pentomino V

This occurs when the hammer is placed under on any of the pentomino blocks.
(I thought that as the only way to remove the blocks, then after several
tens of attempts I also found out that the hammer also works when next to
the blocks...) After hammer is under on a block, when pressing the
destroying switch, the block which has a hammer underneath will disappear,
but the hammer will disappear also. When pressing the destroying switch
again, the level does crash.

I try to explain this easy. Let's pretend we have started the level #83 from
Enigma II, Pentomino II. (Pentomino 2_Intro.png)

We will use one of the switches to create a block. Then we will get the
hammer and place it next to the block. (Pentomino 2_Hammer.png)

Now we will press the destroying switch. (Pentomino 2_Explode.png)

As we can see, the normal function has been made and I think this is the way
the level was made to act when using the hammer like shown just before. But
there is still the bug, which occurs when the hammer is wrongly placed
underneath of the block. We can see this happening by first making another
block, and placing the hammer next to the block. (Pentomino 2_Hammer 2.png)

Now, we don't just press the destroying switch immediately, first, we move
the block on the hammer. (Pentomino 2_Move.png)

And now we press the destroying switch. (Pentomino 2_Explode 2.png)

You might have noticed that the hammer has disappeared, and there is no new
one to take. The level is still solvable, but you can no longer use the
hammer. And what makes this even worse is that if you press the destroying
switch again, the level will crash. (Pentomino 2_Error.png)

Finally I understand what the hammer is for :-)

Okay, the bug is trivial. When a puzzle-stone explodes over
the hammer, the explosion destroys the hammer. The next
time you hit the destroying-switch, it will address a non-existing
item; crash.

We could either stop the hammer from destroying the puzzle-
stones as long as a stone is above it. Or allow it and always
check for existence of the hammer instead.

Which way?

[Land of the Doors duplicated]

The third bug is not really an immediate attention bug, but could still
cause some confusion on the high scores. There are two "Land of the Doors"
levels, each having its own files, the levels are identical, yet there still
are different scores arranged for the files.

These two levels can be found:

Oxyd - #31 - Land of the Doors
Oxyd Magnum - #4 - Land of the Doors

I have included two screenshots about these levels to see that the records
aren't very exact! (Land of the Doors 1.png, Land of the Doors 2.png)
This is intended.

[Obviously wrong scores]

The last bug I found is about Per Oxyd Level 11.

PerOxyd - #8 - Per.Oxyd 11

Having included a screenshot of the info of the level (Per.Oxyd 11.png), we
can see that the world record is 0:49, by Thomas.

In the level, I thought you are supposed to wait at least a minute. No
offence Thomas, but is it even possible to make such a score like that?
Unless there is an allowed way to act with the times on Enigma, then maybe
it's ok...
There are some more obviously wrong scores. It would be
arbitrariness to decide which scores are real and which are not.
And: They will finally disappear, as soon as we let the 0.92-score
expire. Just a question of time.

Greets,
Andreas