Re: [Enigma-devel] Pocket pc

From: Tacvek
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] Pocket pc
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 12:26:23 -0500

----- Original Message ----- From: <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Monday, February 12, 2007 2:34 AM
Subject: [Enigma-devel] Pocket pc

Hello;

I use a pocket pc. Motarola 8125. Is there a version of Enigma for my handheld pc? Love the game, helps me pass many enjoyble hours.
Would love to have it on my pocket pc.

I belive you mean you have an HTC Wizard (Cingular 8125). I am not aware of any Motorola 8125.

I do not belive that there is currently a port of Enigma to PocketPC.

This however is the second time recently I have heard about the idea of Enigma on a mobile platform.

To Ronald, et. al.:
Building Enigma for a Windows Mobile 5+ platform that supports VGA resolution should be possible without terribly much code change.

However, many devices have only a QVGA screen. So to support them (which is very highly desirable) the interface code will need to be changed. The plus side is that those changes would also help out the unoffical gp2x port.

The only major difficulty I expect in the port to VGA resolution is getting a suitable toolchain for compiling. I'm aware there is a port of gcc for this purpose, but it is nowhere near as mature as MingW, and I clearly remeber some of the problems we have had with MingW.

IIRC It is possible to build Enigma for Windows with Visual Studio. How well does that work? (It it does not work well for normal Windows, I'm reluctant to try it for WinCE.)

If there is interest in a port to Windows Mobile?

I would be willing to attempt the basic porting for VGA devices, but am unlikely to be able to maintain the port. Is there anybody with Visual Studio 2005 who would be willing to maintain a Windows Mobile 5 port? (You want VS2005, because it includes an Emulator (a very good emulator) for PocketPC devices [called "Microsoft Device Emulator"], and Microsoft has made available "Windows Mobile 5.0 Pocket PC SDK" [which includes ROM Images for Windows Mobile 5 devices, plus updated libraries headers etc for WM5], but the SDK requires Visual Studio 2005).