Re: [Enigma-devel] New graphics

From: Jen
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] New graphics
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2007 03:13:49 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tacvek" <address@hidden>
To: "Jen" <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>
Sent: Sunday, February 04, 2007 11:24 AM

Question: how are the smaller images being generated? Are they simply downsampled versions of the higher resolution graphics?
(Just curious)

In this case, yes. But it's important to note that I always start with a large image, and then size it down to each size needed and check to make sure each one still tiles well and do any sharpening or touch up needed. One thing I noticed when looking at some of the objects currently in the game - coins, spoon, key, etc. - is that they appear to all have started at the smallest size, and then that small image was enlarged as needed. You always lose some image quality when enlarging a small image. It's always better to start big and then size down.

And for whatever it's worth, I'll be doing some of the objects in vector format initially, which can be resized up or down without loss of quality. But for textures like the grass/leaves, a large image carefully reduced in size is more effeceint, in my opinion.

The best thing you can do is simply to formally licence the images under a GPL-compatible licence. (To do that is simple, just include such a statement with the graphics (perhaps in the email, or as a text file in the zip file)
a statement saying you are doing so).

You could use the GPL itself, but if you are not familar with its terms, it may be a confusing licence. It was intended for computer programs, but can cover other works; however, trying to understand what it would mean in terms of artwork without first understanding what it means in terms of a computer program
can be somewhat confusing.

I belive the Expat Licence is a reasonable choice. It basically allows use/ modification, sitribution etc. in any manner and for any purpose, with the sole condition that proper attribution be maintained.
The text of the expat licence can be found at:
http://www.jclark.com/xml/copying.txt

Thanks for the information. I'll read up on all that and see what makes sense to me.

So... no one has any suggestions as to what I should work on first? Any comments on the grass/leaves?

Jen
Jen Robertson
California
address@hidden
Go outside. The graphics are incredible!