Re: [Enigma-devel] "Acoustic Memory" in Mac OS X gets stuck

From: Andreas Lochmann
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] "Acoustic Memory" in Mac OS X gets stuck
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2006 12:17:54 +0100

Clifford J. Tasner wrote:

When I am going from level to level using the F4 or F5 keys, and I am leaving the level entitled "Acoustic Memory," the program freezes for around`15 seconds before it moves on to the next level.

Hmm... can't reproduce this. Maybe something special to Mac?
"Acoustic Memory" just makes use of lua's "SoundEvent", nothing
special so far ... can you reproduce this? Also, when you use another
level pack with "Acoustic Memory" in it, like in your "History"?
(I want to ensure that this problem really concerns "Acoustic
Memory" and not "Fatal Attraction II", which follows it.)

There are three other issues that I'm having:

1). The chess knights - I love the concept - I understand how they are to be moved, but in practice, I find that much of the time, the pieces won't move when I strike them with my marble. And when the same pieces are struck the same exact way later on, they will move. These would be a lot more fun to work with if they were more responsive to attempts to move them from place to place.

Yes, that's right. Sometimes the chess-horses more act
like donkeys. I didn't make them more responsive, as
they should challenge dexterity, too.

However, when you say, you struck them twice the same way, under
the same angle (that's important; a straight hit won't move the
chess-stone, despite any speed; and a too slow hit won't move it,
either), and in both cases with the destination being free, no fire
near ... then I fear a bug. We already had a similar bug with the
chess-stones, but that's many revisions ago.

2). While playing the Enigma 0.92 - 3 level entitled "Map It Out," the program has crashed twice on me.

Strange.
Well, I didn't play "Map It Out" for a long time now, will
have to try it again. Does it crash quite at the beginning
or in middle of?

Seems to me, the Mac-version is much less stable than the
other two. We'll have to get more bug-reports and details to
encircle the bugs -- are there any more Mac-users here that
observe such or similar (or any) errors and crashs? Or could
even analyse the code and point us to any problems?

and

3). I am running Enigma on Mac OS X. I understand that I am supposed to send in the user path: /users/cliffordjtasner/.enigma. However, I don't know how to access the code on my machine that will allow me to find that file. When I use NetInfo Manager and look under 'users' and my name, the file isn't listed. I am not very experienced in programing my computer, just in using it. Is there anyone among you who is experienced with Macs and who can advise me how to find this file so that I can post my scores? I want to participate along with everyone else who gets such great enjoyment from this game.

Can't help you here.

Thank you for all your wonderful work on Enigma 1.00.

Thank you. I hope, we'll get rid of these bugs soon.

I have now completed 890 levels.

Happy New Year!

Dito!

Greets,