Re: [Enigma-devel] Re[2]: Enigma 1.00 - request for level updates

From: Ronald Lamprecht
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] Re[2]: Enigma 1.00 - request for level updates
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 23:25:06 +0200

capkoh wrote:
ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/enigma-game/Enigma-w32-1.00-pre-alpha-cyrillic.zip

I've tried it and it's seems to be ok. The stderr file does not remain after game closing. And Filemon confirms that access to the files is ok. I've tested it with paths from my previous message (they includes "-" and cyrillic chars).

O.k. - meanwhile the Xerces team commited a fix in form of a transcoder
switch for mingw to the main windows transcoder. I linked Enigma against this version updloaded the result for common testing:

ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/enigma-game/Enigma-w32-1.00-pre-alpha2.zip

BTW is is normal that the stderr file does not remain if no error occured.

Another bug is the cursor "slow motion" over menu buttons when Russian language is chosen. Filemon talks that program reads font file many-many times (no less than 10) at this moment. And it repeats on every button's caption update. Maybe UTF-8 decoding have some influence... Maybe my PC is too slow, but I did not find any slo-mo with any other language.

Hmm? I cannot detect a special "slow motion" effect on Russian buttons
with my computer. There is always a certain jumping of the cursor on
entering buttons. Do you see a difference between buttons with Russian
titles and buttons with pure number or icon titles?

I looked at the SDL_ttf sourcecode. Indeed they do cache only the first
256 coding point characters. Enlarging or better improving this cache algorithm should be easy. But I did not yet set up the necessary compiling environment. Nice task - but not my current priority.

And just another one. It seems that edit fields do not support cyrillic chars.
Is this ok?

Yes - SDL is missing an international keyboard input library. Not only cyrillic chars, but Umlauts etc. will not be insertable on some systems, especially Linux, as well.

- Ronald