Re: [Enigma-devel] Russian localization

From: Ronald Lamprecht
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] Russian localization
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 08:44:08 +0200

Tacvek wrote:
The same question asked Mate for the Hungarian translation:

6. Finally while experiementing with the software,
I found words and phrases which were not available
in the .po file. For example, in the level inspector,
there is the entry 'Target', which contained the value 'time'
for the levels I looked at.

I am aware of these values. These value are runtime values and Gnu gettext isn't capable of handling them. I still have to look for a work around.

Really? I thought that that was exactly what N_ was used for. N_ being a macro calling gettext_noop, which is in turn a is a no-op macro, returning the same string as is inputted. This is useful in cases where a string is being selected from a static table of text, or oother similar circumstances.

The example can be found at:
http://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/manual/html_mono/gettext.html#SEC19

(The used gettext_noop explicitly, which is actually very rare.)

I would be surprised if this technique could not be used in this case.

I switched most instances of I18N to gettext_noop when I introduced the instant language chance a year ago.

The problem in the case above is not L10N (the insertion of the localized string) but the I18N part (the extraction of translatable strings and generation of enigma.pot). As the string values for 'Target' do not exist in C++ gettext cannot extract them. They derive from the XML level element "info/modes" and are "runtime" strings from the aspect of gettext.

I did not cover these strings with the general I18N workaround for levels as they do not really fit in. A simple workaround would be to insert the known string-values anywhere in the C++ part without any usage, just to let gettext find them. I just did not decide which way is the best one - no unsolvable problem.

BTW (@Tacvek) I could not find the samples of the undocumented "TRANSLATORS:" feature or any comments in the GNU Coding Standards. Did you test it with C++? What is the syntax?

- Ronald