Re: [Enigma-devel] configure.ac SDL_ttf magic

From: Daniel Heck
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] configure.ac SDL_ttf magic
Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 18:51:33 +0200

> - in the Makefile.am, what is the difference between
> bundle_name := ../Enigma.app
> and
> bundle_name = ../Enigma.app ?
> Why is the first one better/more correct?

In this context they are equivalent.  The right side of ":=" is
guaranteed to be evaluated only once, not every time $(bundle_name) is
found in the Makefile, so it behaves more like assignments found in
other programming languages.  That's why it seems to be considered
preferrable.

> - In these make scripts, what is the difference between (e.g.) $(dir),
> $dir, and $$dir?
> This seems like total voodoo to me...

$(dir) is evaluated by make
$dir really is $(d)ir and also evaluated by make
$$dir is evaluated by the shell, $$ is like \\ in C for dollar signs

> - Also, what's the difference between
> find ../data/levels -name '.svn' -prune -o -exec echo '{}' \;
> and
> find ../data/levels -name '.svn' -prune -o -exec echo {} \; ?

I think they should be identical, at least they are in my shell.  Maybe
some shell interpret the curly braces, I don't know.

> - Last, is there a way to just install a file and create the missing
> directories on the fly? It seems like that should be a somewhat common
> task, shouldn't it? There's install -d, which looks like it would do
> exactly that, but it doesn't: it only works if the last element in the
> path is a directory, not a file.

You could always use something

  mkdir -p $(dirname $dst) && cp $src $dst

Cheers
Daniel