Re: [Enigma-devel] Re: Comments on the level xml schema

From: Ronald Lamprecht
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] Re: Comments on the level xml schema
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 00:54:40 +0200

Tacvek wrote:
The other problem is how to resolve a namespace into
a schema. The only useful system would be to have a local schema catalog
that parsers search to find definitions of namespaces.

For Java based applications schema catalogs are fine, but the support
of schema catalogs is very poor concering C++ libs and tools! Have a look at po/Makefile for what I had to do to get Xalan (C++ Version) process XML levels.

[Comment on the current xml level examples]
It seems that it may be wise to use the default namespace feature in the level files to avoid excess prefixes.

As I want to separate Enigma's schema elements from those private once added by a level editor we have to live with the prefixes.

That is reasonable. On the other hand, editors should be using a unique
prefix for themselves anyway, as use of the default prefix is valid, and annother editor may output levels that use the default namespace feature for the level
files. The use of two editors may be more common than one might suspect.
A user may find that one editor is good for quickly laying out a level, but
annother editor may be better for the fine tuning of a level.

My practical experience tells me to use the default namespace only in
cases where all elements and attributes live in the same namespace
(preferences and ratings). In cases with several namespaces I use prefixes for all elements and attributes.

The reason is the inconsistent namespace inheritance of elements and
attributes. Attributes do not inherit the default namespace! To make
everthing clear I am used to set the schema attributes
"attributeFormDefault" and "elementFormDefault" to "qualified".

But I guess most level authors will just copy the tags from given
templates and will not bother the prefixes at all. Hey, even I copied the German typo "el:titel" from the schema to a test level, to the docu, to the stylesheets, to the C++ code and several sample levels without
noticing the mistake!

- Ronald