Re: [Enigma-devel] Re: network 2-player game

From: Ronald Lamprecht
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] Re: network 2-player game
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 19:56:18 +0100

Tacvek wrote:
Your expanation works in that case unless the the synchronized worlds of both clients desync, which is a possibility,
especially in the case of a lost UDP packet.
But I'm sure such a problem can be overcome, as it always has in the past.

If you had a thorough look at Daniels work you should have noticed, that
he carefully did choose the "enet" networking lib. Enet provides TCP
features like connections, sequencing and reliability on UDP. By
limiting the transfer to event data only none of the problems above
should occur.

Of course a lot of work has still to be done. Starting with an architecture independent data encoding, time synchronization, ...

The demanding task of the network game is not the event queueing and networking stuff but the cloneing of the world! I started with the Lua world part -- that is the reason we need to upgrade to Lua 5, because it supports serialization.

The major problem with Lua 5 was the undocumented changes to the error system. It appears to be possible to use the metatable system to re-create tags (to the extent that they are needed), but i was unable to figure out how to account for the changes in the error system.

I am aware of the documented changes like "%ident" upvalues, that have
been used by Nat Pryce (and myself).

But how far do the changes in the error system affect existing levels
and Enigma itself? Please provide us all information you have.

Thanks

Ronald