Re: Fwd: [Enigma-devel] Yet another transalation

From: Tadeusz Andrzej Kadłubowski
Subject: Re: Fwd: [Enigma-devel] Yet another transalation
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 11:52:54 +0200

Tata, a Marcin powiedział, że Nat Pryce powiedział(a), że:
> Below is the definition from dictionary.com.  In Enigma, it's used to
> mean the target time in which to complete a level, and so is similar
> to definitions 1 and 5 below.
>
> par   Pronunciation Key  (pär)
> n.
>
>    1. An amount or level considered to be average; a standard:
> performing up to par; did not yet feel up to par.
>    2. An equality of status, level, or value; equal footing: a local
> product on a par with the best foreign makes.
>    3. The established value of a monetary unit expressed in terms of a
> monetary unit of another country using the same metal standard.
>    4. The face value of a stock, bond, or other negotiable instrument:
> sold the bond at par.
>    5. Sports. The number of golf strokes considered necessary to
> complete a hole or course in expert play.
>
> tr.v. Sports parred, par?ring, pars
>
>     To score par on (a hole or course) in golf.
>
> adj.
>
>    1. Equal to the standard; normal: a solid, par performance.
>    2. Of or relating to monetary face value.

Ok, I've already looked it up in a dictionary...

I have one more question: There's this: ``exactly the par time by: ''. Is it
that par times are based on experimental data given by actual players, or do I
get something wrong here? The definitions above suggest that par value is based
on statistics, while in enigma it looks that it's something more of a best
known result?

--
tadeusz