Re: [Enigma-devel] Non-Free Fonts, current CVS

From: Daniel Heck
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] Non-Free Fonts, current CVS
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 10:49:10 +0200

Erich Schubert wrote:

> I uploaded a Version i named 0.81.1 to Debian, where i replaced the
> non-free fonts by free ones, using Bitstream Vera.
> IMHO it looks okay, but there might be better free-as-in-freedom
> fonts.

looks OKish, but the font the font is too large; the text inside some
menu buttons is wider than the button.

I think we must make the switch to real TrueType fonts sooner or later
anyway. I started to include gettext support in my working copy and the
current bitmap fonts only contain the standard ASCII characters.

> A couple of levels are unsolveable in CVS right now.
> In "emergency exit" you die when you break the glass.
> In "Fool the watchdog" the latter will just kill the white ball
> immediately.

We really have to enter the 0.90-beta phase soon, the endless tinkering
doesn't lead us anywhere... :-(

> Also enigma needs some file-not-found handling. When a font or a
> graphic can't be loaded enigma is likely to segfault instead of
> throwing an exception and properly shutting down (after all, it's C++)

Agreed

- Daniel