Re: [Enigma-devel] Splitting Enigma in data- and code parts?

From: Daniel Heck
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] Splitting Enigma in data- and code parts?
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 22:12:53 +0100

Erich Schubert wrote:

> Will there be a new stable enigma release in the near future?

Probably not.  The current CVS version is not too bad, but there are
many small glitches that take some more time to fix.

> I.e. should i start packaging enigma CVS snapshots or first try to
> push a split version of 0.81 into debian testing (aka upcoming
> "sarge") The unsplit enigma package has been in "sarge" for a long
> time, and unless something serious arises with it's dependencies that
> will not change. I have a working enigma CVS package as of 20040210
> here. There is no urgent "need" to have a split package.

Do as you like.  Maybe a CVS snapshot would increase the visibility of
Enigma and maybe even help recruit new developers, maybe it would only
generate a flood of bug reports...

> Second question:
> Will there be split upstream tarballs?

Some day, hopefully, yes.  It's currently not a priority for me, so
don't expect them in the immediate future.

> Third question:
> How far should the split go?
> I can split into enigma-engine and enigma-data. That is the obvious
> way to go and solves these "unneccessary duplication of data" issues.

Sounds like a good starting point.

- Daniel