[Enigma-devel] Laser bug?

From: Ingo van Lil
Subject: [Enigma-devel] Laser bug?
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2004 18:48:59 +0100

Hi there,

George's mail yesterday made me aware of a strange effect I noticed
before which I think is a bug: Each time there is any change in the
path of a laser (e.g. a box is moved into or out of the beam) the
complete laser path is recalculated. If there are any laser-convertible
objects lying inside the laser beam during recalculation they are once
more converted, even if the change shouldn't have any effect on that
part of the laser beam that hits them.
The effect can easily be reproduced in Enigma 2, level #60 ("Do it
yourself"): Pick up a coin, mint it into a 5 cent coin and place it left
of the note (do not pick up the note!). Now, if you activate the laser
it first hits both the coin and the note, the coin is transformed into a
hammer and the note gets burned, then all laser paths are recalculated
and the hammer is transformed once more, this time into a sword. From
the users point of view the coin was only hit by one single beam, the
disappearing note shouldn't have any effect on the other part of the
laser.

        Cheers,
            Ingo