[Enigma-devel] Enigma in 2004

From: Daniel Heck
Subject: [Enigma-devel] Enigma in 2004
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 19:03:08 +0100

Good news first: Over the holidays I was able to put a lot of work into
Enigma.  I still haven't started to merge this into the official CVS
tree (which will be a lot of dull work), but I decided to make it
available
as a tarball:

    http://www.rzuser.uni-heidelberg.de/~dheck/enigma-0.90-devel.tar.gz

A detailed list of changes is included in ChangeLog.arch.  In
particular, playing the original Oxyd 1 and Per.Oxyd levels works a lot
better than it did before.  There's a menu option for higher resolution
video modes (800x600 and 1024x768) which DOES NOT work at the moment,
simply because the scaled graphics are not included in the package.
Please do not try it yet--you have been warned.

Bad new second: I have decided to spend less time developing Enigma in
2004.  I simply have to.  Enigma is too much fun and it eats up a lot
of my spare time.  2004 is my last year at university, which forces me
adjust my priorities a little.   I think we are not too far away from a
1.0 release; the source code is in good shape, Oxyd emulation is almost
perfect, etc.  Hopefully others will be able to pick up where I left off
and will implement the big new features like network game and 3d
graphics that I probably won't be able to realize.  To make it short:
sometime in January I will go into maintenance mode and mainly fix bugs
and keep the source code orderly.

In the last two years, Enigma has grown from a toy project into one of
the most polished and best free games around.  That's more than I had
ever hoped for--thanks to everyone who helped it get there! Enigma is
already my favourite computer game, and I think it's only beginning to
take off!

Happy New Year!

Daniel