Re: [Enigma-devel] par_times

From: Daniel Heck
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] par_times
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 02:25:40 +0100

> >> Come on. More configs please! :)
> > I lost my level stats when I accidentally started 0.81, but I will
> > send you my .enigmarc as soon as I have a few more finished levels
> > on my list...
>
> Not running a backup seems to be very popular these
> days. ;-) Sven lost his config as well..

Oops, well, in fact I'm doing daily backups... good idea, thanks :-)

> How did you corrupt your file?

I ran 0.81 to verify a bug report.  Starting up worked but, obviously,
the level stats weren't loaded.

> > Maybe we shouldn't use the best times achieved by members of this
> > list for all levels.  We have some real Enigma pros here, beating
> > our best times may be impossible for most players.
>
> I think we should definitely use our best times, because
> time hunting is meant for pros only.  Since nobody is forced to play
> against the clock, it should be as hard as possible.
>
> What would be the value of breaking a faked par time?

Ok, I forgot that we have both the par time and the player's personal
record.

> An example for one level which is completely misplaced:
> I know at least two people who stopped playing enigma at level #3 of
> the'Enigma' level pack - this level is far too hard for newbies to be
> the third one!

*Cough* Who did that? :-)

> Maybe sth like
>
>       options.versionRequired(0, 81) -- check for version 0.81
>
> in .enigmarc would be safe enough if enigma refuses to start if the
> version is older.

Too late :-) I'm currently rewriting the options handling.  (There is
another problem with the current approach that Martin discovered some
months ago: it's not possible to define string options.  The rewrite
will solve that problem as well, besided being easier to maintain and
generally nicer.)

Daniel