Re: [Enigma-devel] Copyrights

From: Tacvek
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] Copyrights
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 17:52:55 -0500

> The Sokoban levels are copyrighted by people I contacted and asked for
> permission to include their levels into Enigma.
> I think these levels cannot be GPLed.

they can be gpled but only through a joint agreement by the copyright owner
and the creator of the level file. If they are not gpled then things get
VERY ugly.

The problem arises with the concept of libraries and programs as it related
to the enigma.
If ralf_sokoban.lua is considered a library, and the sokoban levels are
considered programs, then it is unclear if you are allowed to distribute the
levels at all. The ambiguity is that lua has no real binary format. It may
be that because there is no excecutable form it can be distributed, as the
linking would occur locally and the linked form is never distributed, so
copyright law *cannot* limit the linking.

I would assume this is the case so distribution of the sokoban levels is
straightforward. You cannot distribute the sokban levels as part of the
enigma package as the pakage as a whole is under the gpl. However you can
make it a second 'extention' package that is distributed under a different
licence. You can also package the extention package in an installer (such as
the windows installer) as long as you give the user the option not to
install the 'extention' and make it clear that it is a different package and
is licenced under a different licence.