Re: [Enigma-devel] RE:Level packs

From: Daniel Heck
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] RE:Level packs
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 20:15:33 +0200

Tacvek wrote:

> Ok i understand the confusion. I have only recently discovered enigma,
> (thanks to Knoppix), and have downloaded the windows version. It is
> good, but many levels are hard, some nearly impossible (ie the
> meditation levels with rubber bands.) As I like my programs to work
> correctly i don't use the cvs versions.

Except for some minor glitches the CVS version works very well.  The
main reason we're not releasing it as version 0.80 is that (a) the
manual is not complete, (b) a few Oxyd 1 objects aren't implemented yet
(knights, for example).

> The way i see it oxydlib should not be needed by 1.0, The reasn for
> that would be that good sound effects exist in enigma, so there is
> little point in using the original oxyd data, and all of the oyxd
> levels to have been portred over to enigma.

Of course, this would be the ideal solution.  Alas, I'm quite sure
version 1.0 *will* depend on Oxydlib.  There are more than 600 levels in
the original Oxyds (including Esprit), and some of them are a pain to
re-create for Enigma without a level editor.  I would prefer to release
1.0 by the end of the year and decouple the creation of new levels
(possibly including conversions of Oxyd levels) afterwards from the
development of Enigma as a game engine, instead of spending an
additional year cloning every remaining Oxyd level.

Other than that, version 1.0 will in fact be feature complete.

> Ideally all of enigma's features should be implemented by 1.0, with
> the possible exception of the level editor. Multiplayer support should
> be what defines the 2.0 release.

...if real life leaves me enough time to ever reach 2.0... sigh... :-|

Cheers,

--
Daniel Heck
http://www.rzuser.uni-heidelberg.de/~dheck/