Re: [Enigma-devel] Enigma on Mac OS X

From: Daniel Heck
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] Enigma on Mac OS X
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 09:04:14 +0200

Mac-arena wrote:

> your development page says:
>
>       We've had many request for a version that runs under MacOS (not
>       OS X).
>
> why not Mac OS X? Oxyd was released for Classic Mac OS, some years
> ago - there isn't much point in making another one. a Mac OS X
> version, however, would be very cool.

There already _is_ an Enigma port to OS X, see the download page.  An
updated version will appear in the next few days; Johannes updated it
almost two weeks ago, but I've been having problems with SSH, so I
wasn't able to upload it so far.

> you could make it using Carbon and compile it in CodeWarrior or MPW
> (the latter only runs on Classic Mac OS, btw) as a PEF (CFM)
> application instead of Mach-O. it would then run on both Classic Mac
> OS and Mac OS X. if you did this, the Carbon version would require at
> least Mac OS 8.6 with CarbonLib, possibly higher (9.0 or 9.1) if you
> used functions new to those versions.

So far no one has ventured building a Carbon version of Enigma and no
one with access to MPW or CodeWarrior offered to do so.  I'm no Mac
user, so I have no idea whether it would be worthwhile (or even
feasible).  I think Johannes once mentioned that Enigma wouldn't run on
Classic Macs anyway because they don't have a 640x480 video mode.

Cheers,
Daniel