Re: [Enigma-devel] New level format

From: Petr Machata
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] New level format
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 21:55:49 +0100

Daniel Heck wrote:
So back to Lua.  Here's what I came up with last night.  It's still a
little rough in places, but all in all I like the result.  It simplifies
the current renderLine implementations, it's data-based and easy to read
and write from the editor, you can still include arbitrary Lua code in
the PreCode and PostCode strings, etc.
I'd like your feedback, though, before I start programming and
unwittingly end up with another format that doesn't quite cut it.  So,
what do you think?

Well.. Generally, why not.

Graphical level editor will be much greater magnet for new level designers than some obscure language (despite the fact it's something as strong and powerful as LUA is). This in turn will enable faster oxyd level conversion, more new enigma levels (so it will be possible to pick quality levels), maybe enigma-levels.de will finally be of some real usage. You know - graphical level editor will really push things forward, and there is a strong demand for something user-friendlier even now. Also, the new format seems to enable much of the fine-tuning that classical procedural way did. If it will be possible to use classic functions like set_stone in case of need (dynamic levels will require this), it may be also possible not to give up whole power of procedural level design. Your new-level-format-example seem to enable it. There may be a few problems with random mazes and other technologically sophisticated levels, but hopefully they will also be convertable.

Drawbacks? Of course... we have some 250 levels in procedural format and, if I understand it, they have to be converted. Whoa. You trully won't release 0.8 before summer, I bet :) Also I'm not very pleased that two months' worth of programming of ant.lua will go bye bye, but anyway no one used it, so what's the story.

Generally, you have my support. As soon as enigma is ready, I can start the work at anything related that has to be done.

BTW, as major changes come, let's talk a bit about naming conventions of level files. Current format <author-id><number>.lua is OK for Enigma levels, but for converted ones, I'd rather see something like <oxyd-clone-id><levelnum>.lua, like oxm010.lua for 10-th level of Oxyd Magnum, pol05.lua for Per-Oxyd Linkgame level 5 etc. It will help a lot in future, when index_clones* will break up to particular oxyd clone packages. Think about it.

Cheers,
Daniel

ant