Re: [Enigma-devel] CVS update and mouse controls

From: Daniel Heck
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] CVS update and mouse controls
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2003 14:23:04 +0100

Jeremy Sawicki wrote:

> When you changed the default mouse speed and mouse damping in
> options.cc, you left the old values in enigma_conf.lua.  I assume they
> should match.

In fact, enigma_conf.lua isn't really necessary anymore, unless someone
really needs a systemwide configuration file for Enigma.

> Experimenting with mouse damping is difficult because of the way it is
> defined.  I think that once a mouse speed has been chosen, a given
> mouse movement should always result in the same total change in
> velocity, and mouse damping should only control how that change is
> spread out over time. As it is currently defined, damping alters the
> total change in velocity, so any change to the damping requires a
> corresponding change to the mouse speed.
>
> Here is one way to fix the problem:
> [...]

I tried it. Frankly: it feels horrible :-) I'm not sure how to describe
it... maybe "unbalanced" is the right word.  Either the marble
accelerates too much, even when you move the mouse only slightly, or it
doesn't move at all.

I'm not too happy with damping either, but it was the best solution so
far.  The problem is that Enigma uses variable time steps--introducing
the damping factor made the acceleration more or less
framerate-independant.  The current CVS version fixes the time step of
the physics simulation to 15ms, so it may be possible to (finally) get
rid of the damping; I will try that later.

Incidentally, fixing the time step made everything else behave much
better.  The current CVS version with damping=50,friction=1,speed=4
feels "just right", if you ask me.

Cheers,
Daniel

--