emonkey-announce

[Emonkey-announce] disconnect

From: Neddy Shea
Subject: [Emonkey-announce] disconnect
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 07:43:00 -0700

Obviously, this is a handy thing to have a grasp on and this is why we care about special orthogonal matrices.
His country is overstretched, losing economic momentum, losing world leadership, and losing the philosophical plot. Imagine taking a point on the sphere, and its antipodal point, and pulling them together to meet somewhere inside the sphere.
Of that I have no doubt-it would be impossible for me to refute even if I wanted to. The goal is not a description which is true or corresponds to the truth, or at least that is not the immediate goal.
On the face of it, it might be surprising that the set of rotations of three space should itself look anything like three space.
In other words, a view of the universe from a materialist perspective at any given moment shows that everything in the univese is different in the sense of being distinct. Without the steady march of time, this unity of behavior disappears, and there are simply a million disparate entities.
Now do it with another pair of points, but make sure they meet somewhere else. And, of course, make good pictures.
If it were, we could have basically stopped after the Greeks figured out a fair amount of geometry. I would have thought that evolutionary biology would have provided an adequate explanation of this, as well as the recurrence of what we call altruism. However, he also thinks that theories are conventions and definitions of concepts, not true descriptions of physical phenomena based necessarily on experimental results. In other, the goal is not to not be wrong but to achieve a definitive positive answer. And, of course, make good pictures. But we shouldn't forget an equally important lesson, articulated most forcefully by Nietzsche: The health of a person and a people also depends vitally on the capacity to forget. America is running into the sand.
Without the steady march of time, this unity of behavior disappears, and there are simply a million disparate entities.
If one does not wish to be this deterministic about it, perhaps one should allow more latitute to individuals to discover their own conception of happiness. So it is an element of science, but incomplete.
But not to worry, if you walk across the infinity line again, you get flipped back to normal. And certainly conjugating by a point is the same as conjugating by its antipodal point, since the minus signs will cancel eachother in the latter case. In other words, a view of the universe from a materialist perspective at any given moment shows that everything in the univese is different in the sense of being distinct.
It would seem to me that the branches of physics which are entirely theoretical are for practical purposes basically metaphysics. The intuitive picture is that of a smooth surface. Imagine taking a point on the sphere, and its antipodal point, and pulling them together to meet somewhere inside the sphere. Of that I have no doubt-it would be impossible for me to refute even if I wanted to. Now do it with another pair of points, but make sure they meet somewhere else.
Do this with every single point on the sphere, each point and its antipodal point meeting each other but meeting no other points.