emms-help

Re: emms-info-native not setting info-playing-time

From: Yoni Rabkin
Subject: Re: emms-info-native not setting info-playing-time
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2022 17:18:19 -0500

"Fran Burstall (Gmail)" <fran.burstall@gmail.com> writes:

> On Sun, 27 Nov 2022 at 13:41, Yoni Rabkin <yoni@rabkins.net> wrote:
>

>> To be clear, emms-info-native should indeed be setting that value, but
>> the code must have some kind of bug.
>>
>> Thank you for catching this.
>>
>> P.S. Please don't top-post.
>

> One clue: I think the ID3v2 frame that contains the track duration is TLEN
> and I do not see that on the list emms-info-native--id3v2-frame-to-info
> that emss-info-native.el uses.

I think that the problem is that most files out there do not encode the
song duration at all. My guess is that various tools do some kind of
calculation to try and figure out how long the track is based on frame
length and the number of frames.

You can hexl-mode some of the files in question and see how many of them
have TLEN at the start. I just checked two files at random in my
collection and found no song duration in the header.

If this is true, we'll have to add that type of approximation
calculation to emms-info-native.