emacsconf-org

Re: Reaching active speakers for fixing issues

From: Amin Bandali
Subject: Re: Reaching active speakers for fixing issues
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2020 22:47:56 -0500

Hi karl,

[ sorry for my slow replies to these ]

Karl Voit writes:

> Sacha Chua (sacha@sachachua.com) wrote:
>
>> I'm thinking about the couple of times that we had frozen talks and the
>> speaker didn't notice, because things looked fine on their end. It would
>> help to have a quick way to make something go ding, since they might not be
>> paying attention to the pad and IRC moves too quickly. We have
>> international folks, so if someone happens to have a free or
>> inexpensive way to call, that would probably beat me ringing them on my cell
>> phone. I don't know if Mumble is enough of a backup for this scenario,
>> since an Internet hiccup would disrupt that too.
>
> As a speaker, I'd prefer text messages via Phone (or app) or a
> separate channel I might be able to keep an eye on during the
> presentation.
>
> This separate computer channel might be an IRC chat where *only
> relevant* messages pop up. I would not be able to separate irrelevant
> messages from relevant while giving a talk. Maybe an IRC room for
> each speaker? With a naming convention like ec20-LASTNAME this could
> be handled well, I presume.

Thanks for sharing your perspective and preference.  I think we will go
with phone number (either quick call or text) for emergency purposes.
Otherwise, I think one IRC channel per each speaker may be a bit
unmanageable, no?  We expect #emacsconf-org to be *quite* low-traffic if
it's anything like last year.  So I think if each live speaker could
keep an eye on #emacsconf-org and their phone for emergency purposes it
would be great.

That said, If you and/or other orgas feel strongly about experimenting
with one IRC channel per speaker, I would be okay with giving it a shot
for this year and see how it turns out.  Let me know if y'all would like
to do this; otherwise let's stick with #emacsconf-org + phone (only if
absolutely necessary).