emacsconf-org

Re: [DRAFT] EmacsConf 2020 Call for Proposals

From: Sacha Chua
Subject: Re: [DRAFT] EmacsConf 2020 Call for Proposals
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2020 08:59:43 -0400

Hi Amin, all!

On Sat., Aug. 15, 2020, 17:23 Amin Bandali, <bandali@gnu.org> wrote:
Our <https://emacsconf.org/2019/organizers-notebook/> from last year
lists "Consider anonymized conference submissions to reduce bias." as a
possible improvement.  I agree, and I think we could make that happen.

Some people felt very strongly against including demographic information in talk proposals and wanted talk proposals to be as anonymous as possible, with efforts on increasing representation handled through outreach instead. I'm neutral on this, although seeing as last year's inclusion of demographic representation didn't influence our talk selection much (we included everything!), we could experiment with replacing it with something like, "If you know someone who might have a good idea for a talk, please reach out to them and encourage them. Many people (especially from under-represented groups) might not consider themselves expert enough to share their thoughts, but if you let them know that you value their knowledge and suggest something that they can share, they may realize that they have something they can contribute."

?