emacsconf-discuss

Re: A couple of questions before submitting proposals

From: Amin Bandali
Subject: Re: A couple of questions before submitting proposals
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2020 17:18:54 -0400

Hi Andrea,

Andrea writes:

> Hi there,
>
> Thanks for organizing this conference! I am excited to try to give a
> talk. So I have a couple of questions:

Cheers!

> 1. can I submit multiple proposals?

Yes, absolutely.

> 2. one of my proposals is based
> on work that I do not own, but is freely accessible through Github:
> does this affect this part of the clause
>
>      I represent that I have the authority to grant the above license to
>      the EmacsConf organizers.  If my presentation incorporates any
>      material owned by third parties, I represent that the material is
>      sublicensable to the EmacsConf organizers or that my use of them is
>      fair use.

I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice, but I think that depends
on what exactly you mean by "proposal based on work that I do not own".
For instance, will your presentation be about a piece of free/libre
software, but the presentation is entirely prepared by yourself?  If so,
I believe that should be fine.  To my understanding, if you will be
talking about a free/libre software project that is publicly accessible,
using that piece of free software for talking about it in a presentation
would be part of your 'freedom 0' (see [0]), and so you would not be
violating the terms of the software's license.  The speaker release is
directed mainly at the presentation (and its prerecording, if any) video
itself and its accompanying material such as slides, notes, and
transcripts.

[0]: https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html

If you're still not sure, you could always ask the creator of the work
you're talking about and/or consult a lawyer.  I hope this helps clarify
a bit.

> Thanks and looking forward to the event,
>
> Andrea

Thank you, and we look forward to receiving your proposal(s). :-)

amin