emacsconf-discuss

Re: Giving a talk for EmacsConf 2019?

From: Sacha Chua
Subject: Re: Giving a talk for EmacsConf 2019?
Date: Sat, 7 Sep 2019 13:38:06 -0400

Just keeping everyone in the loop:

Amin and I hashed out a possible conference schedule today. It was really hard to choose, but we managed to pick 2 talks per category (user, developer, Emacs Lisp, community). Amin will reach out to the speakers to check time considerations and schedule tech checks. We'll post the schedule after the main speakers have confirmed.

We also spent some time figuring out more stuff about the tech. We had a few technical issues with Jitsi, but it's still likely the best free software solution. We looked at Jami, but that didn't quite work out for us. To reduce the technical risks and keep things flowing smoothly, we'll ask lightning talk presenters to record 5-10min videos that we can add to the stream via Open Broadcasting Studio. If they can be available to answer questions through the IRC backchannel or Jitsi Meet, that would be awesome. Amin is also going to look into possibly hosting the livestream instead of relying on Youtube for livestreaming. For my part, I'll look into whether we can prepare or even automate some of the backchannel and OBS stuff so that things are less hectic on the day of the conference, and I'll also work on a 20-minute keynote that will highlight major community resources/developments and introduce the agenda.

I think that the main content thing that might be missing is a very quick overview of technical developments in Emacs, which I can't even summarize because emacs-devel goes above my head most of the time. I'm not sure if that can be squeezed into a lightning talk, but if anyone's up to the challenge, feel free!

Sacha