emacs-tangents

Re: elpa.git and `new-master`

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: elpa.git and `new-master`
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2020 17:40:23 +0300

* Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> [2020-12-16 17:05]:
> Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> writes:
>
> > git branch named "master" is not connected to any "slave" that I know
> > neither in computing terminology neither in real world.
>
> This is a common claim, but it's incorrect: The term originated with
> bitkeeper, which was what Torvalds used before he wrote git.
>
> https://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2019-May/msg00066.html
>
> Note that followups-are set to emacs-tangents.

I see, that has master-slave connection in past at bitkeeper.

Does it cost people when it gets renamed? Does it cause worldwide huge
re-downloads when it gets renamed?

And why remain to "main"?

Maybe "mistress" would be more appropriate to some other political
movement. ;-)

Good to read here:
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/slave#English

(engineering, computing, photography) A device (such as a secondary
flash or hard drive) that is subject to the control of another (a
master).

Language is changing. That it reminds somebody of some ill times in
past is matter of adaptation to new present time. Not everybody can
adapt, and remains in past. But is good to accommodate those who do
not want to use words in their proper meaning.

You know I don't mind how is the original branch named, it could be
mistress or something else, just that "main" is without any fun. Why
not "love"? Then we can promote love in the git branch. That would be
more hippy like and appropriate. Or better: makelovenowar -- I would
say 100% for this. But "main", ah no fun there. Jokes aside, safe is
safe, as somebody will come after me and stone me.

How about "original"?

How about "primary"?

I just object that social justice warriors come to GNU project with
their political ideas and not object for example at universities. Why
not start at some prime examples?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master's_degree

Little more irony:

By the way GNU reminds me of a dirty abntelope over here in East
Africa, running for life over Serengeti and dying in deep blood when
eaten by crocodiles, I would rather like something less violent that
does not promote violence like "GNU".

Maybe it is something I cannot say?
http://paulgraham.com/say.html