emacs-tangents

Patronage or code bounties for Emacs enhancements

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Patronage or code bounties for Emacs enhancements
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2020 15:06:24 +0300

Dear Thien-Thi,

I have seen your patronage and I agree with it.

In general I am interested in some enhancements to Emacs core software
as such enhancements would contribute to software I am preparing
HyperScope for Emacs that represents dynamic knowledge repository
(DKR) and follows principles as designed by Doug Engelbart.

Doug Engelbart Institute - Boosting mankind's capability for coping
with complex, urgent problems https://www.dougengelbart.org/

Imagine it as huge database backed index. Currently it has 20000
entries. It could receive too many entries at any time from now. It
uses tabulated-list-mode currently to display its
entries. It may use different modes later. It is tree of knowledge
where user can browse nodes.

There are options such as filter. And there is option to use
completing-read to find specific entries or sets of entries.

The built-in completing-read function does not satisfy my needs as it
is not as visual and legible. This software works well with helm that
shows selection in separate split window. Other completing packages
could work but are more or less not as useful as helm.

My goal is to minimize dependencies and not use neither helm nor
completing read. I prefer if function is built-in or included in Emacs
that offers good real-time incremental matching or search that narrows
selection of lines displayed.

The selection system should be most similar to helm. Yet it would
apply to tabulated-list-mode and it would not and need not be
replacement for completing-read. It can be enhancement to
tabulated-list-mode that visually and in real time narrows the
display.

Proposal and thread is here:

Features wanted:

- that narrowing selection system works equally well in console and X

- that it offers visual real-time narrowing of the list in
  tabulated-list-mode, that user may decide to stop narrowing and
  browse the list or re-start narrowing again

- that user can go back to the full list in tabulated-list-mode. This
  implies that narrowed list is some new list and original list has to
  be remembered

- that separate function is invented that returns back the ID value of
  the item

More description on narrowing feature:

- user should be able to type or write anything with spaces and words
  in reverse orders. Matching lines should be displayed by first
  showing:

  - lines that match all entries, such as "john" "doe" "boston" would
    match entries in that order

  - then eventually would come entries that are not in same order,
    such as those containing first "boston" then "john" or "doe" (in
    any order)

  - words that user type while narrowing in real time should appear
    somewhere. One place for words to appear is minibuffer. But need
    not be minibuffer, it could be a new line that opens on the top
    above the header or below the header line. For now this paragraph
    is not as important.

Jean