emacs-tangents

Re: guile-pg fatal error

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: guile-pg fatal error
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2020 11:47:30 +0300

* Pankaj Jangid <pankaj@codeisgreat.org> [2020-10-22 06:25]:
> Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> writes:
>
> > I have tried Emacs on Guile, it worked, but very slow.
>
> So much effort has gone into emacs-lisp. Probably we should converge the
> two languages and make elisp available code available to guile users. I
> am not sure how feasible is this.

Guile already has Emacs Lisp built in, but it does not have interface
built in.

If you think for Emacs on Guile, I do not know internals, like I do
not know if Guile is providing Emacs Lisp on which Emacs Guile is
built or Emacs is built maybe on Guile Scheme. I did run that Emacs on
Guile, it worked and looked same as standard one, just very slow.

There are many Emacs modules, some could be usable in Guile, people
are free to modify it.

My personal software is for business. It is customer relationship
management, something like bbdb for Emacs, but way more complex as it
is database backed. It can mail emails, like mailing list to users,
make follow up emails, it subscribes or unsubscribes people from
mailing lists in safe manner without having any online continuous
running database, only Lisp data structure in encrypted PGP files. It
can create invoices, make notes about users and similar.

First I used web or HTML interface, PostgreSQL backed, then later I
have switched many functionalities to terminal based or console based
specific scripts, with readline completion or simple menus, that
appeared so much more usable then web interface.

Later I have discovered that Emacs has many good completion networks,
so now I am using helm extensively for database management. Such
program cannot be converted to Guile, as how would then Helm be used?
There is no interface ready.

It also does not make sense to use it outside of the editing and
communication space (Emacs), as almost all database management is
related to emails, to SMS, communication, calls, letters, to handling
of tasks and transactions.

Within Emacs as interface, both graphical and console based interface,
many problems are solved for such application. With Guile I do not
know how I would be solving those problems of interface.

And I find that Emacs is quite capable of providing applications to
users, for example it can provide full accounting system that is fast,
efficient, friendly and database backed.

It could provide supermarket sales management software, it is very
easy to write that with some completion interfaces, few tables for
articles, pricing, stock and Emacs can already choose items for the
invoice, total amount is there, it could be printed on a small
printer and provide a receipt all blazing fast, if necessary it could
be showing pictures of specific articles for cashier to recognize
it. Interface is already there, it just needs work of integration.

It could as well provide hospital management system similar to GNU
Health, and it could use the same database together with GNU Health.