emacs-tangents

Re: crdt.el: proposal that server enforces the mode\

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: crdt.el: proposal that server enforces the mode\
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2020 03:28:36 +0300

* Qiantan Hong <qhong@mit.edu> [2020-10-22 03:17]:
> So in this occasion particularly, I’m asking whether should the server
> decide exclusively what minor-mode to enable, or values of buffer local
> variables,
> or any client can change it?

You have to select what would be set by server only and that list of
variables should be later explained in the info file or README. It
should not be general, it could make anything insecure or weird if you
make it general.

In my opinion those variables dictated by server should be in the
customization group, so that user can remove the variable or set it.

If client can change it, it makes no much sense really, not to me, but
it may make sense to somebody.

If I use ses-mode, I need spreadsheet and not damages.

> However, (although I don’t like it very much), I think one can argue that
> giving
> server exclusive write permission avoid communicational conflicts or even
> chaos.
> What do you think?

Server need not be necessarily manager or leader of the team, but
leader will like to decide upon those variables to be set by the
server.

Thus my opinion is that customization group should be there where
server's user can set it up on what to be dictated by the server, for
example modes, variables, etc.