emacs-tangents

Re: [ANNOUNCE] mailaprop: modern popup-style autofill for email addresse

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] mailaprop: modern popup-style autofill for email addresses
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2018 14:37:00 +0100

Karl Fogel <address@hidden> writes:

> It seems like ecomplete does something at least similar to what
> mailaprop does.  The main questions I have are:
>
> 1) Is there a way to load in existing email history?  If I knew the
> format of the .ecompletrc file, maybe I could make mailaprop.py
> generate it.  Personally, with a million email messages' worth of
> legacy data, it seems a pity to start collecting addresses from
> scratch now :-).

The format is like this:

((mail
 ("address@hidden" 38154 1516109510 "Lars Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden>")
 ("address@hidden" 10 1516065455 "Karl Fogel <address@hidden>")
 ))

Which is email address/times used/last time used/full name.

> 2) Does it prioritize the completion list according to some scoring
> algorithm, so that the most likely candidates are keystrokewise
> closest?

It only prioritises by the number of times the address has been used...
Hm...  I think I had meant to also make it prioritise based on recency,
but I apparently didn't.  But that can be tweaked, of course.