emacs-tangents

Re: [ANNOUNCE] mailaprop: modern popup-style autofill for email addresse

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] mailaprop: modern popup-style autofill for email addresses
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2018 00:02:53 -0600

I wrote:
>Lars Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden> writes:
>>Looks very nice...  but the main difference between this and ecomplete
>>seems to be that ecomplete puts the completions in the echo area and
>>mailaprop uses a tooltip?
>
>Hmm, I can't tell.  As of commit 9f22b7d2, ecomplete.el has no function doc
>>strings nor any usage-informing variable doc strings, and the format of
>>~/.ecompleterc is not documented.  From looking at the elisp file, I wasn't
>>immediately sure what ecomplete does :-).  I grepped around and found this in
>>doc/misc/message.texi: [...]

Sorry, Lars.  I think my tone of voice was a little off there!  ecomplete looks
great -- I was glad you pointed me to it, and mostly wished that I had found it
earlier (say, before I wrote mailaprop, ahem).

I confess I got a little frustrated when I looked at the ecomplete.el source
code, and that frustration is what came out in my original reply.  The code
itself was very clean & readable.  But I was hungry to know the format and
semantics of ~/.ecompleterc, and to know the exact completion behavior, because
because then I would know whether mailaprop should continue on its own, or
whether I should focus on using (and maybe extending) ecomplete.

Best regards,
-Karl